Saturday, November 19, 2011

Difficulty


While reading In Dubious Battle I came across much difficulty. The time that this novel took place was the main reason for my frustrations.  Steinbeck uses so much dialogue throughout the book that I found it hard at times to know what character was actually speaking. Some parts of the book I had to re-read a few times to truly understand what was going on. I tried to picture a movie scene in my head to understand how these conversations were actually taking place.
            In Dubious Battle also had a lot of words that I had no idea what the meanings were. For example, ‘handbills’, I had no idea what that meant. So I would look up words online whenever I found it important in the text. I found that it meant a text or notice of something.
            Since this book was based on something that happened so long ago, I found it hard to want to read it. There are book that you cannot put down, and there are book that you want to put down. This was definitely a book I wanted to down!  I tried to read 20 pages a night, but found myself putting the book down just after 5 or 6 pages. Finally I forced myself to read 200 pages in one day just to get it over with! I tried to get my mindset into liking this book, but it just did not happen. I couldn’t relate to any character in this book at all. I wish that I could’ve enjoyed it more…but I didn’t.
            One of the most difficult things about this book is how it ends. After forcing myself to read it, the ending was horrible!  Steinbeck must have been a depressed man to end this book like that. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda... Thanks for the encouragement! I am just at the beginning of the book, and you are throwing buckets of cold water on my desire to read it. But it's an assignment and I gotta do it, I am sure I will learn something... However, you give a great summary of the book! It is very interesting what you say.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel you on this amanda. the book's context was hard to follow, often very dry, and the ending was depressing.

    ReplyDelete